December 13, 2011

AVAL UNDA (Flatten Rice Balls)

Aval Unda

I had no idea how to make this or even heard of it. Recently during the Harvest festival in church, my father told me that he bought these. I asked him what was added in it and he said he thought the ingredients where so and so. Thats when i decided i should give a hand on this recipe and see how it will be :). I was surprised the outcome was awesome and definitely tasty!


Ingredients :

Aval (Brown flat beaten Rice) - 1 cup
Coconut grated - 1 cup
Sesame Seeds - 1/2 cup
Jaggery - 1 cup
Water - 1/4 cup
Cashew Nuts - 1/4 cup chopped roughly

Preparation:
Place pan over stove and once hot add in the flat rice and fry for 2-3 mins over low flame till the rice flakes are crispy. Make sure they dont change color. Remove the rice flakes. Then add in the sesame seeds and roast till nice aroma comes. It took me nealry 3- 4 mins. Remove from flame to cool.

Powder the rice flakes in a grinder. Optionally you can keep as it is or even half grind too. I preferred the grinded version.

Now in another pan. add in jaggery and 1/4 cup water and melt the jaggery. Once melted completely sieve for any impurities. Then to this add coconut and nuts. Mix properly. Mix in the sesame seeds and grinded aval powder and mix nicely. Once slightly cooled start making small balls with them and keep to cool completely. You can store them in an air - tight container for days :).

I would like to send this over for the event conducted by Julie :)




I would like to send this also over to Jingle all the way , a event conducted by kavi :)..



Cheers,
Neetz ;)

22 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Feel like munching some aval unda rite now..yum!!

Neetz said...

come over i have few more left :)

Faseela said...

yummy balls........superb dear

Neetz said...

Thanks Faseela :)

Hari Chandana P said...

Lovely and delicious recipe.. looks too good dear.. Yummy :)
Indian Cuisine

Neetz said...

Thank u Aarthi & Hari :)

Suja Manoj said...

Can have this anytime..yum

Nisha said...

remembered by childhood days looking at this unda

Teena said...

Looks tasty!! Wanna grab few :)

divya said...

Looks so tempting and delicious.. Yummy :)

Nithu Bala said...

Wow! aval unda looks inviting..thz for sharing this Neetu.

Julie said...

Very innovative one,never seen before..would love to try this,adipoli!!
Thanx for linking it to my event,dear..
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Aval unda looks very tempting...

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

So tempting and would to munch a few:)

Ganga Sreekanth said...

wow... looks yummmy.....aval unda kandu kothi vannu

Lifewithspices said...

yummy ones..

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Nice recipe...looks tempting and delicious.

Arwa - LaMereCulinaire said...

Very interesting!
I love how diverse Indian ingredients are!

Rachana said...

They look so cute and inviting. Lovely clicks!

Faseela said...

Dear Please grab the award which is waiting for you at my space..........here goes the link
http://faseelanoushad.blogspot.com/2011/12/awards.html

Kavi said...

Wow.. nice recipe!
Would love to include it in my event. If possible, please go through the rules of my event Jingle All The Way and link your post there.
Thanks!
-
Kavi
(Edible Entertainment)

Anzz said...

This is one of my hubby's faves. My mom in law makes it often. I am hosting my first blog event plus giveaway - Valentines Special. Do check it out and be a part of it. Would be great..!

My event- Valentines Day Special

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails